You may be able to get help to manage your money if you are unable to do it yourself. This is known as appointeeship.

An appointee or organisation is allowed to receive your benefits when you are unable to manage your own money due to disability, illness or special needs.

What does an appointee do?

An appointee can be a family member, friend, the local authority or a specialist organisation. It is someone authorised by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) to act on your behalf to claim, collect and manage your welfare benefits. This can be to pay expenses such as household bills, food and personal items.

If you lack mental capacity

You can also choose to ask a friend or family member to manage your affairs for you, this is called a Power of Attorney.

Visit managing someone's affairs page

Become an appointee

If you want the Council to become your appointee then please speak to the person who conducts your financial assessment.

If you are not eligible for social care services, you or someone on your behalf can apply to the Department of Work and Pensions to become an appointee.

Find out more on GOV.UK website

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Managing someone's affairs, Someone to speak on your behalf,Disability benefits, Work-related benefits, Tax credits, Housing benefits, Disabled facilities grant

External websites: GOV.UK, The Money Carer Foundation