Carers assessment

As a result of the Care Act 2014, if you provide unpaid care and support to an adult friend or family member, you may be eligible for support from the Council.

As a carer you are entitled to have an assessment from Redbridge Adult Social Services called a carer’s assessment.

Who is a carer?

If you provide unpaid care or support to an adult friend or family member (over the age of 18), who is ill, frail, disabled, or has mental health or substance misuse problems, you are classified as a carer.

‘Caring’ for someone covers lots of different things, including:

  • personal care such as washing, dressing, support with eating or taking medication
  • practical care, such as shopping, cooking, cleaning, taking the person to regular appointments
  • emotional support if the person is lonely, worried or gets upset

Download Support for carers leaflet

About a carer's assessment

To find out if you are eligible for any support from the Council, you will need to complete a carer’s assessment to help decide what support you need and how much help the Council can provide.

A carer’s assessment is a discussion between you and the Council, this can be in person or, sometimes, over the telephone. The assessment looks at the different ways that caring affects your life and works out how you can carry on doing the things that are important to you and your family.

content provided by NHS Choices

If your first language is not English then an interpreter can be made available to help you during the assessment. A British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter can also be made available if required.

Preparing for an assessment

It is important that you think of any difficulties that you are having due to your caring responsibilities. You should make this clear to the person who is carrying out the assessment.

Some of the points you may need to consider to help get a clearer understanding of your situation are:

  • Do you get enough sleep?
  • Is your health affected in any way?
  • Are you able to get out and about?
  • Do you get any time to yourself?
  • Are your other relationships affected?
  • What type of information do you need?
  • Are you worried that you may have to give up work or your education?
  • Is the person you are caring for getting enough help?

After the assessment

The Council will use what you tell them during your assessment to produce a support plan. The plan will detail what help is available from the Council, as well as other places you can get help from.

As of 1 July 2015 carers in Redbridge, eligible to receive support services from the Council will be subject to the Councils charging policy. The level of this charge is determined by a financial assessment and takes into account the financial circumstances of the carer.

Visit contributing to social care services page

How to request an assessment

Complete online contact form to request a carer’s assessment or telephone 020 8708 7333.

The person you care for can have their own assessment to look at their social care needs. You can request a carer’s assessment even if the person you care for does not wish for help or an assessment.

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: A break from caring, Young carers, Employment and learning, Emotional support, Financial support, Planning for an emergency, Living with a disability

External websites:Redbridge Carers Support Service,Carers Direct (NHS Choices)