Disabled Facilities Grant

The Disabled Facilities Grant is a sum of money that isused to pay for equipment and adjustments to your home. It does not affect any other benefits which you are receiving.

If you are registered disabled and would benefit from making adaptations to your home to make life easier, you could be entitled to this grant to help you make the changes.

The funding is provided by Redbridge Council and could be used for a variety of facilities such as:

  • widening doors
  • installing ramps, stairlifts or a downstairs bathroom
  • purchasing a new heating system which is more suited to your needs
  • adapting controls to make them easier to use

Eligiblity for the grant

To be eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, the following must apply:

  • you or someone who permanently lives at your property must be disabled
  • you or the person you are applying for must be the homeowner or the registered tenant
  • you intend to stay at the property for five years or more
  • you can also apply for a grant if you are a landlord who intends to let the property to a disabled tenant

How to apply

In the first instance, you will need to contact theRedbridgeOccupational Therapy service and request an assessment. They will assess the disabled person's needs and requirements and will explore what support arrangements may be appropriate. If the disabled person is an adult, you should contact the Community Care Advice Centre on 020 8708 7333 to arrange an assessment.

If you are finding it difficult at home with daily tasks, there is a range of specially designed equipment to help make life easier and enable you to live independently in your own home.

Visit the equipment page

Useful links

OtherMyLife pages: Equipment, Home improvement and repairs, Disability benefitsHelp filling in benefit forms, Work-related benefitsTax creditsHousing benefits

External websites: GOV.UK, Disability Rights UK