Extra care housing

Extra care housing allows older people who need the reassurance of 24-hour care and support to continue to live independently in their own home for as long as possible.

It offers more personal and domestic care and support for people. The schemes have self-contained flats or bungalows with access communal areas and social activities.

If you can no longer continue to stay in their own home safely then you may want to consider a care home.

Visit care home page

Schemes in Redbridge

Redbridge Adult Social Services has three extra care schemes for those who are eligible for support from the Council.

  • Oakfield Lodge in Ilford Town Centre was rated overall as “requires improvement” by CQC in November 2019
  • George Davis Lodge in Barkingside (working in partnership with London and Quadrant Supported Living) was rated overall “Good” by CQC in November 2019
  • Fernways in Ilford Town Centre was rated overall “Good” by CQC in November 2019

There are other extra care housing schemes available throughout the Borough for those individuals funding it themselves and those who may not be eligible for support. Search the MyLife service directory

How to apply

If you think that you will benefit from extra care housing from Redbridge Health and Adult Social Services, then an assessment of what your needs are will need to be carried out to see if you are eligible for care and support from the Council.

Complete online contact form or telephone 0208 708 7333

If you do not wish to apply for an extra care housing scheme owned by Redbridge Adult Social Services then you can apply directly to a housing scheme. Each scheme will have their own application process.

Cost of extra care

If you are eligible for support from Redbridge Adult Social Services then the cost of extra care housing will depend on your personal circumstance. This will be discussed with you once a financial assessment has been completed. This financial information is needed so that your contribution is at an amount you can afford to pay.

You can also get an idea of the cost by contacting the extra care housing scheme directly.

Support and advice

Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)is a national charity websitethat helps older people make informed choices about meeting their housing and care needs. You can also call their FirstStop Advice Line for independent, free information and advice on housing and care serviceson 0800 377 7070.

Visit EAC housing website

Useful links

Other MyLife pages:Sheltered housing, Supported living accommodation, Care homes, Staying in your home, Housing benefit

External websites: Elderly Accommodation Counsel (EAC)