Home improvement and repairs

You may need some repairs to make your home safer or more comfortable.

If you are a homeowner with savings, this will probably be your own responsibility. There is a list of companies vetted by Trading Standards.

Visit Buy with Confidence website

Redbridge Handy Person Scheme

The scheme helps older, vulnerable and disabled residents in Redbridge with odd jobs and minor repairs around the home. You must be at least 60 years old, or any age if you are disabled or, have a long term illness. They are unable to carry work that is the responsibility of a landlord. There is a fixed charge of £20 per visit and is reduced to £10 if you receive income related benefits.

The types of jobs that they may be able tohelp you with include:

  • changing light bulbs
  • installing locks , spy holes and security chains
  • fitting handrails, grab rails and curtain rails
  • small plumbing repairs
  • fitting draught excluders
  • Making safe trip hazards
  • replacing broken toilet seats

You will need to contact HEET who delivers the Handy Person Scheme on behalf of Redbridge Council.

Visit HEET website

Email handyperson@theheetproject.org.uk

Telephone 020 8520 4554

Home Repairs Grant

Redbridge Council does offer very limited grant assistance to help older, vulnerable or disabled homeowners who are at serious risk of harm due to the condition of their property.

Visit Redbridge Council's website.

Disabled Facilities Grant

The grant can help with the cost of adapting your home to make it easier for yourself or the disabled person to continue living there. Visit Disabled Facilities Grant page

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Short term support, Preparing meals, Looking after yourself, Safety at home, Disabled Facilities Grant