We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

Physical disability

If you have a physical disability, you can get support and advice that may help you to live more independently.

You can register as a disabled person with Redbridge Health and Adult Social Services. This may help in getting concessions such as reduced fares for public transport. Your GP will need to refer you to a consultant in the first instance.

Support in Redbridge

Redbridge Disabled Women's Welfare Association offers signposting, information and advice to physically disabled and elderly women. They can visit individuals at home and in hospital and have weekly yoga sessions, awareness seminars and group outings. Contact 020 8597 0099 or email redbridge_dwwa@yahoo.co.uk

Chigwell Disabled Group provides activities for physically disabled people, including weekly coffee mornings, quizzes, tai chi, bowls, aerobics and luncheon groups. Contact 07800 577 179 or 07947 568 657.

The Marjorie Collins Centre is for people affected by multiple sclerosis in Redbridge and surrounding boroughs. It is a purpose built centre offering a wide range of activities, including yoga, art therapy, needlecrafts and model-making.

Visit Multiple Sclerosis Society website or contact 020 8983 8178 or 020 8983 8148

If you need support in your daily activities or care for somebody who does, you can contact Redbridge Health and Adult Social Services to find out if you are entitled to receive help from the Council.

Complete online contact form or telephone 020 8708 7333

Parking concessions

The Blue Badge scheme gives parking concessions for people with severe mobility problems, and the Redbridge Mobility Card scheme provides door to door transport for disabled residents. Free travel on London's public transport and local bus services is available through the Disabled Person's Freedom Pass.

Visit transport section

There is also a scheme that lends manual wheelchairs and powered scooters to those who have limited mobility to shop and visit leisure and commercial facilities.

Visit Shopmobility page

Further advice about motoring and transport can be found on GOV.UK website.

Visit GOV.UK website

Help to live at home

For some people, a simple aid may make all the difference if everyday life is becoming more difficult. There is information about different aids and adaptations in the equipment page of this website.

Visit equipment page

Other people may need alterations to their homes. You may be able to get a grant towards the cost, called a disabled facilities grant.

Visit disabled facilities grant page

You can find information about getting mobility aids such as wheelchairs on NHS Choices.

Visit NHS Choices website

There are also a number of assistive technologies that can help you live a more independent life in your own home.

Visit Lifeline and Telecare page

Useful links

Other MyLife pages:Sensory impairment, Public transport, Equipment, Lifeline/Telecare, Disability benefits

External websites: GOV.UK - disabled people, DisabledGo, Disabled rights UK, National Federation of Shopmobility, Scope, Vitalise, Support Dogs

Back to top