Contributing to social care services

Redbridge community health and social care provide help and support to adults and those who care for them (carers). Redbridge Councils charging policy applies to both service users and unpaid carers.

Care and support services

The Council has a duty to assess anyone who appears to have care and support needs, whether they are a service user or an unpaid carer. If you are over 18 years old, the Council will:

  • assess your needs and give you advice
  • provide information about services and support available to you in your area
  • give you a carer’s assessment if you are an unpaid/family carer

From 1 April 2015, the government set a national eligibility criteria for adult care under the Care Act. This means people will get the same access to support wherever they live.

Paying for care and services

Social care services, unlike health care, are not free for everyone. Most people will have to contribute something towards the cost of their care with some people having to pay the full cost.

How much will I have to pay?

Charges for services are different depending on whether they are non-residential (in your own home and community) or residential (in a care or nursing home).

The Council will carry out an ‘assessment of need’ and if you meet the national eligibility criteria, we will agree what kind of care and support you need and ask you to complete a financial assessment. This is to assess how much you may have to pay towards the cost of these services.

The financial assessment will look at your income, spending, including disability related expenditure, savings and benefits you receive.

Where do I complete a financial assessment?

Follow this link to access Adult Social Care financial assessment form.  

Summary of charges for 2020-2021

A brief guide to discharge from hospital and paying for care 2022. This page provides information on adult social care services available after discharge from hospital.    

Paying for care in your own home and the community (non-residential care) - this leaflet explains the charges for care provided to a person to help them live as independently as possible in their own home and community. 

Paying for residential care - this leaflet explains the charges if you need to move into a residential or nursing home as you are unable to live independently, even with extra support.

Do the charges change?

Yes every year.  

Independent financial advice

It is always good to know what all your options are when you’re thinking about how to pay for care and support. You can find organisations that provide independent financial and legal advice.

Search the MyLife service directory

Third party top ups

A person who has decided to live in a care home or nursing home can use a third party such as family, friend or charity to help pay for they cost of living where a preferred care home is more expensive than the Council's benchmark fee. This is called third party top up.

Visit Redbridge Council's website

Charging policy for adult social care

Download the charging policy

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Day centres and lunch clubs, Care homes, Help with personal care

External websites: Money Advice ServiceSociety of Later Life Advisers (SOLLA)