Someone to speak on your behalf

Having someone to speak on your behalf is known as advocacy.

Advocacy means having someone who will express your views and wishes, secure your rights and represent your interests. It safeguards people who are vulnerable by speaking up for them.

Advocates act only according to the wishes of the person they are speaking for. They do not take their own view of what is best or try to influence the person to make a different choice.

Advocacy is completely independent from the organisations that provide social care services and are not offered by the Council, but there are a number of local organisations that can act as independent advocates.

Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) Service

The Independent Mental Capacity Advocate (IMCA) Service provides an independent safeguard to support particularly vulnerable people who lack capacity to make important decisions and who have noone to act for them.

When the Council has to make a decision regarding someone who lacks capacity,it must consult an IMCA. In Redbridge, this service is provided by Voiceability.

Find advocacy organisations in Redbirdge

VocieAbility provides free, independent and confidential advocacy services to residents who receive health and social care services in Redbridge. 

Visit VocieAbility Redbridge website

POhWER is an Independent Health Complaints Advocacy service that can support you to make a complaint about the service, care or treatment provided to you by the NHS. 

Visit POhWER website

Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering have an information and advice service which is a free independent service offered to people over the age of 65 years.

Visit Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering website

For more information about organisations which provide advocacy services, search the MyLife service directory.

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Managing someone's affairs, Appointeeships, Protecting adults at risk of abuse or neglect

External websitesAge UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering