Supported living accommodation

There are a number of ways that people with learning or physical disabilities, or with sight or hearing loss, can be supported with their daily living.

Supported living services provide accommodation and support for adults so that they canachieve and maintain their independence in the community.

These include:

  • Supported housing- These are operated by a variety of organisations, including housing associations, voluntary organisations and the council.You have your own home either in a shared or a self contained flat with support to maintain your tenancy. Support workers can be employed who will work with you to help you with employment, leisure or other activities that you may be interested in.
  • Your own home -there are a lot of ways you can get your own home:
    • You can rent it - from a private landlord or from a housing association
    • Buy it for yourself. It is not easy and there are rules you need to follow
    • Shared ownership is when you buy part of a house and rent the rest. The house will belong to a housing association. You will have to use your money to buy your share of the house
  • Residential care- accommodation for people who need more intensive or specialised support. Different types of residential care are available to meet individual needs and different levels of disability

How to apply

Redbridge Health and Adult Social Services works with people with learning disabilities in Redbridge. They can help you find out what your needs are and help you find the right place to live with the right support.

If you think you need help, you can request an assessment to see if you are eligible for care and support from the Council.

Complete online contact form or telephone 0208 708 7333

Easy read information

Have a look at the learning disability easy read section on 'my home' of this website.

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Learning disability easy read my home, Housing benefits