Tax credits

Tax credits support families with children and working people on low income by topping up earnings.

There are two types of tax credit -Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.

The amount of money you receive depends on your annual income and circumstances.

Child Tax Credit

You may be entitled to Child Tax Credit if you have children, whether you are working or not, or on benefits.

Visit GOV.UK website

Working Tax Credit

Working Tax Credit supports you if you are in work and on a low income by topping up your earnings.

You need to be working a minimum number of hours per week. The minimum hours required varies according to your circumstances.

Visit GOV.UK website

How to claim

GOV.UK has a calculator that can estimate how much you might receive.

Find out more GOV.UK website

If you are new to tax credits call the tax credit helpline for a claim form. You will be asked to provide certain information before you are sent an application form and it may take up to two weeks for the form to arrive. Call 0345 300 3900, Monday to Friday 8.00am to 8.00pm and Saturday 8.00am to 4.00pm.

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Disability benefits, Work-related benefits, Housing benefits, Help filling in benefit forms, Disabled facilities grant

External websites: GOV.UK