Work-related benefits

The benefits that you will be entitled to will depend upon your individual circumstances. Listed below are some of the main benefits that you may be able to get.

These benefits are managed and paid by central government.

Benefit cap

In Autumn 2013, the Government introduced a benefit cap, or limit on the total amount of benefit that most people aged 16 to 64 can receive.

Find out more on GOV.UK website


Universal Credit

This is the main benefit for working-aged people who are unemployed, working but receiving a low income or are unable to work because of a health condition. It can include two elements; help with the living costs for you and your household and, if applicable, help with your housing costs.


‘New Style’ Job Seekers Allowance (JSA)

To be eligible for this benefit, you will need to have previously worked as an employee and paid sufficient Class I national insurance contribution to qualify. You might be able to get Universal Credit at the same time or instead of ‘New Style’ JSA

Find out more on GOV.UK website


‘New Style Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

To be eligible for this benefit, you must be working age and have a disability or health condition that affects how much you can work. You will also need to have been previously employed or self-employed and paid enough National Insurance contributions to qualify.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA): Overview - GOV.UK (



Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Unemployment,Disability benefits, Tax credits,Housing benefits, Help filling in benefit forms, Disabled facilities grant

External websites: GOV.UK