Day centres and lunch clubs
Day opportunities help those who live at home to maintain their independence and get the most out of life. They provide opportunities for older people, people with a learning disability and people with a physical and/or sensory disability to take part in activities outside of their home, socialise as well as receive practical and emotional support to help improve and maintain their quality of life. A day opportunity can also provide respite care for carers.
Each day opportunity has its own charges. Some are open to everyone and others, which are more specialised, require the person to have an assessment of need before being able to go to them.
Redbridge Council has the following day services:
- Elderberries in Woodford Green
- Link Place Personal Development Centre and the Simon Green Training Centre in Hainault
- Woodbine in Wanstead
To attend one of these day opportunities you will need to contact Redbridge Health and Adult Social Services and have an assessment of your needs. If you meet the eligibility criteria you will be allocated a place. The cost of day care services will depend on your personal circumstance and this will be discussed with you once a financial assessment has been completed.
Complete online contact form or telephone 020 8708 7333
There are also a variety of charity and private sector day centres in Redbridge.
Search MyLife service directory to find a local day centre near you.
Lunch clubs are a great way for people to come together and share a nutritious meal. They provide an opportunity for people to remain independent, make friends and try out new activities. Charges and operating times for lunch clubs can vary.
Redbridge Council has Community Lunch Clubs offering lunch, refreshments, outings, pub lunches and community information. The service is available to all residents if they can prove they live in Redbridge, are over 65 and can get to the club on their own. TMeals can be paid for at the lunch club.
- St John’s Church and Centre, St John’s Road, Seven Kings, IG2 7BB - Tuesday from 10.30am to 1.30pm
- The Living Well Resource Centre, 372 Chadwell Heath Lane, Chadwell Heath, RM6 4YG - Monday and Thursday from 10.00am to 2.00pm
- Goodmayes Community Centre, 616C Green Lane, Goodmayes, IG3 9SE - Tuesday and Friday from 12.15pm to 2.30pm (provided in partnership with Goodmayes Residents Association)
- ‘Link up for Lunch’ at Link Place Personal Development Centre, Bramston Close, Hainault, IG6 3DU - Friday’s (fortnightly) from 12.30 to 3.00pm
For more information, please see the poster or if you would like to attend please call 020 8501 2220 (Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 2.00pm).
You can have lunch at the Allan Burgess Centre in Wanstead (run by Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering). If you would like lunch, you need to book by 11.00am on the day and they can cater for special dietary requirements and medical conditions. Also, why not join one of the classes or groups before or after lunch too.
There are also other community lunch clubs available locally.
If you are experiencing problems preparing food or feeding yourself, there are a wide range of helpful services available to help you.
External websites: Age UK Redbridge, Barking and Havering