We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website.   If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive cookies, but if you want, you can change your cookies settings at any time.

GOV.UK: Budgeting Loans

MyPad lets you save information you have found on MyLife and want to go back to. You can also add your own notes and update them whenever you wish.If you are logged onto your account in MyLife, MyPad will save this information until you delete it. If you are not logged in, the information will only be saved for the time you are on the website.Click here to create an account on MyLife

Service summary

What are Budgeting Loans? 

If you're on a low income and need help with certain important costs such as rent, food or clothes, you may be eligible for an interest-free Budgeting Loan from the government's Social Fund. There are guidelines on the amount that you can borrow and you will usually be required to pay back what you've borrowed (interest free) within 104 weeks.

Budgeting Loans could help with the following expenses: 
- furniture or household equipment
- clothing or footwear
- rent or removal expenses for a new home
- travelling costs
- getting into employment
- improving, maintaining or securing your home
- repaying debts which you used to pay for the above 

Am I eligible?
Budgeting Loans apply to those who have been claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's allowance, Income related Employment & Support Allowance, and Pension Credits.
Budgeting Loans are unlikely to affect your other benefits and you must be receiving an income-related benefit when you apply.

How much will I receive?
How much you receive will depend on your personal circumstances, amount of savings you have and whether you already owe money to the Social Fund. You cannot owe more than £1,500 to the Social Fund and the minimum loan that yo can request is £100.

How do I claim?
You will need to complete a claim form (SF500). Contact your local Jobcentre Plus or Pension Centre office for details. 
Alternatively, you can download  the form from the GOV.UK website.

The page was last updated on 15 April 2015

Main address




Back to top