Housing benefits

If you are on low income, you may be able to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

Council Tax Support

Your Council Tax may be reduced if you, or someone who lives with you, have special needs because of a disability. These special adaptations could include an extra bathroom, kitchen or extra space for wheelchairs. If you qualify for a disabled reduction, your property will be moved down a band.

Contact the Redbridge Council Tax Office on 020 8708 5670 if you think you, or someone you know, may be entitled to a reduction.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit canhelpyou to pay your rent if you are:

  • renting from a private landlord
  • renting from a Housing Association
  • renting from the Council
  • living in bed and breakfast accommodation

Housing Benefit may not cover all the rent you pay. It will not cover charges for water rates, electricity, gas and some other services. Home owners can't get Housing Benefit, but may be entitled to Council Tax Support.

Making a benefit claim

The onlineHousingBenefitcalculator will work outhow much Housing Benefit you could be entitled to. If you are entitled to it, then you will be able to make a claim and apply online.

Visit Redbridge Council’s website

Useful links

Other MyLife pages: Disability benefits, Work-related benefits, Tax credits,Help filling in benefit forms, Disabled facilities grant, Homelessness

External websites: Redbridge i, GOV.UK